Gwen Coull’s Handmade Scottish Toffee Recipe
YIELD: 40 SERVINGS
EFFORT: 1 HOUR
1/2 cup butter
4 1/2 cups sugar
1 large can condensed milk
3/4 cup milk
- Put milk and butter in a thick-based or insulated pan on low heat.
- Add sugar and give a good stir.
- Add condensed milk, stir continuously until toffee comes to a boil, approximately 20 minutes. It must be boiling continuously — not just a few bubbles.
- Stir constantly for 20-30 minutes, without stopping. Throughout the stirring process, the mixture will begin to turn a dark honey color.
- To test, drop a teaspoon of the mixture onto a plate. If it sets, then the toffee is ready. If not, continue stirring.
- When ready, remove from heat and beat the mixture before pouring into a greased pan. Leave the mixture to set.
- Cut the toffee into squares after it has set, but before it hardens.